If you have ever seen Jerry Seinfeld's stand up, you'll know just how you're supposed to say that. My dad, Sheree, and Robert talked me in to going on their kayaking trip on Tuesday. Ironically, right as we were getting into the water, I was quoting Jerry. I was also doing everything I could to slow myself down, pretty much the whole time, but there wasn't much hope of that with how the river was.
So, there were a total of 7 of us kayaking and 3 of us were beginners. We were all doing pretty good and starting to feel comfortable when we reached the problem area. There were a whole bunch of rocks, which weren't really the problem, at least for me. The problem was a log sticking halfway across the river. My dad went down first, and I was second. I tried my hardest to get to the right side of the log, but the current pulled the back end of my boat into the log and flipped me. It was all pretty much a blur after that, but I ended up with my head above water on one side of the log and my leg pinned between the other side of the log and my kayak. Upstream, Robert turned around to see my boat upside down. He freaked out, bailed, and came to save me.
At the same time, the other beginners were getting flipped and all the experienced people were bailing trying to save us.
Once Robert saw that I was okay, he took off after our kayak and ended up running alongside the river for about 2 miles before he and my dad caught it. My dad, being downstream, was the only one still in a kayak and had to try and catch all the others as they came down the river without people in them.
Sheree and I started hiking down between the river and the road when a blue explorer pulled over by us. It was my brother-in-law John. He was on his way back from Rock Springs and he ended up giving those of us who never caught their boats rides to the bottom. Thanks John. My dad did manage to round up all the kayaks, just not until they were almost to where we get out. It was definitely very eventful and most of us got some pretty sweet battle wounds. Only Robert didn't because he was out of the water most of the time. Here's the picture of mine.
3 comments:
How sweet is that, Rob jumping out of his kayak to save you!!! ahhh....
actually, it would be pretty funny to see someone "jumping" out of a kayak, if you ask me.
Oh I am so glad you're okay!!! So here's my advice to you...do NOT go kayaking while we are in Flaming Gorge okay?? You better just stay in the raft... he he :)
It'll be WAY more fun for you (and me) if you just stayed in the raft.
Geeze what an adventure Katie, I must say I am dually impressed with the battle wounds!
Post a Comment