March 14, 2009

Two Weeks To Go!!!

I know it's a miracle, I'm finally posting. But, I finally took a day to myself and went to my sister's salon to get my hair cut. While I was here I decided I could write a quick post. I've been debating about whether I really wanted to make this post, but what the heck. The only deal is, I'm not writing this for the sympathy, just to let people know what's up with us.
So, Robert's just been working and going to school, and I've been working my two jobs. I really like Mt. Ogden Junior High...so much that it feels like I spend every waking moment there!
Anyway, for those of you who don't know, I have a disease called Ulcerative Colitis. Basically, my colon doesn't work right, and over the last couple of months, it has pretty much decided to stop working. After many different medicines, we have opted for surgery. I'm going to have my colon removed in 2 weeks! You would think I should be nervous about this, and I am a little. But, more than anything I'm excited. If I knew how and/or wanted to take the time to figure it out, I'd put a countdown on my blog. I'm just so excited to feel better. It's a two-part surgery that will take at least 6-8 weeks of recovery with a 5 day hospital stay, but at this point Robert and I don't even care. We are just ready for me to be able to do the things I used to without having to worry about the bathroom.
Now, I always swore that I wouldn't be one to write sappy posts about my husband, so I won't. I'll just put in some things other people have said.
"You're husband is so cute. He just takes such good care of you." -Tammy Burton (the head secretary at my school)
"Robert deserves some sort of award for taking care of you." -Emily Thomas (my sister)
"Poor Robert, tell him I'll make him dinner." -My mom.
And just one from me:
"Mark, please take Robert snowboarding so he can have a break."
But, I do have to say, the funniest comment that has come out of this is when Robert told me he might be able to find some time to visit me while I'm in the hospital. You've gotta love it when husbands are trying to be sweet.
I also just want to give a shout out to everyone who has helped us already by making us food or picking me up or sending me home from work or however else they can. We appreciate all your help.
In May, I'm thinking we'll have the traditional swim party to celebrate our birthdays, and the death of my colon. :) The doctor says when all is said and done I'll still be able to 4-wheel and kayak.

7 comments:

Anna said...

Katie! I'm so glad you posted this. I had no idea things had been so rough and I'm so sorry. I'm also sorry that it's been so long since we've really talked. Could I come visit you while you're in the hospital? Grace really wants to meet you. :0) And I'm very concerned about you not having a colon anymore. Mostly because I don't know much about them. :0) But, if you're happy it's going to be gone, then I am, too. Death to your colon! Hooray! And I mean it about visiting you.

Ashlee said...

I was so excited to see that you had finally posted! But that's not exactly a fun post. I'm with Anna. Maybe we can work a day and both come see you. It feels like forever! Let me know when you have the surgery and which hospital you're at!

Angie said...

Hey! I'm sorry to hear that your colitis has gotten to this point. My brother had the same surgery about 3 years ago and his daily life is much improved. Let me know if you want his contact info. I'm sure he'd be happy to give you the inside scoop on life with no colon and insider tips for the period between surgeries.

Shaun - Jillian said...

I am so sorry to hear that you have been so sick. I am so glad that you are having surgery and will feel better. Keep me posted on how you are doing. I will definitely keep you in my prayers.

Brooke and Aaron said...

Good job posting! I'm excited (hope that doesn't sound bad) for you to have your surgery. At this point I think Grandpa could win you in a race! ;) I can't wait for you to be "normal" ;) ;) again! Let me know what I can do for you and Bob!!!

Mandyyyyyy said...

its about time you got rid of the dang colon! I have hated that thing for years!! lol. I hope everything goes well. You are going to be so much happier! No worries. We miss you guys. When can we play again??

KK said...

Katie! I just found your blog and I hope everything went well. I'm always scared my meds will quit working and my intestines will freak out again too.

Megs and I would love to come see you when you are feeling well enough for a visit. So, just let me know. Anyway, get well soon!